ATFD covers 36.5 square miles.
Brief History of Addison Township Fire Department
- In 1949 the Village of Leonard built a fire hall, and on November 27, 1949 the township organized it's fire department with Robert McCallum as it's first Fire Chief.
- A GMC Model FC-454 with a special fire-fighting body and equipment was the department's first truck.
- Our first ambulance was purchased in the late 50's, which led us into medical transports.
- Station #2 was built at 1442 Rochester Rd. in Lakeville in 1987.
- In the 1980's the fire department went to the public for a millage separate from the Townships general fund, this has given us a great advantage in projecting future budgets.
- The 1st full time employee was Chief George Spencer in 1998.
- Station #1 was built at 4026 Forest St. Leonard in 2004 (this replace our original station).
Past Addison Fire Chiefs
1949-1955 Robert McCallum:
1st Fire Chief - started Addison Twp. Fire Department.
1956-1958 Elmer Powell:
Started a cadet program and purchased the 1st ambulance.
1958-1956 Edward Porter
1966-1967 John Hawk
1967-1970 Edward Porter
1970-1970 Ramon Bundy:
Purchased first grass rig.
1971-1972 John Sutherby
1972-1978 Charles Hamilton:
Purchased 1973 GMC pumper and 1974 GMC pumper.
1979-1983 Jim Ostrander:
Purchased new ambulance.
1983-1987 WIlliam Wagner:
Built St#2 in Lakeville, purchase new ambulance.
1987-1990 D.L. Sellers:
Implemented Fire I and Fire II training program. Purchased 1987 tanker, brought department into the digital age.
1990-1994 Robert Schulz:
Purchased 1993 squad and 1991 Darley Engine
1994-1995 David Powell
1995-1998 Kenneth Coon:
Purchased 1998 Pierce Engine, water rescue boat. and implemented a Dive team.
1998-2009 George Spencer:
Built St#1 in Leonard, initiated ALS transport, and was the first full time employee.
2009-current Jerry Morawski:
Received over $360,000 in grant money, created a Master plan which outlines our current operational tasks as well as the requirements for development, training and growth necessary to meet the challenges for the future. Purchased two ambulances, two fire engines, two tankers, ladder truck, brush truck, technical rescue trailer, and command car. Continued streamlining of our emergency medical operations.